These are some of my monthly columns from the Port City Pacers Running Club's newsletter, the PaceLetter
- Blood is Thicker Than...
October, 2003--How changing weather affects your blood--and racing performance.
- Heart Rate Based Training
- Do Great Things
May, 2003--On leaving your mark on the world
- Followed by Tragedy
March, 2003--Dealing with tragedy by walking and running
- To Each His Own
June, 2002--On respecting athletes in sports other than our own
- Diversity on the Roads
May, 2002--Running and walking are for everyone
- Monitoring Your Cheeseburger Threshold
April, 2002--How your body turns McDLTs into PRs
- Don't Fear Success
February, 2002--Sometimes a great race can just sneak up on you
- New Stuff, Renewed Spirit
November, 2001--Can you shop your way to a PR?
- Exhausted on Dauphin Street?
October, 2001--The deleterious effect of carbon monoxide on athletic performance
- Balancing Speed and Marathon Training
September, 2001--Training for a marathon doesn't necessarily have to kill your 5K speed
- Rain, Rain, Come and Stay!
August, 2001--Rain offers a welcome break from summer heat
- Concrete Thoughts
July, 2001--Diatribe against concrete bicycle/running/walking trails
- For a Faster Marathon, Drop LSD!!!
June, 2001--Are you training too slowly?
- Starting Where You Left Off
May, 2001--Can cooling down help your next day's training?
- Dear Diary...
October, 1999--Using a daily log to improve your training
- The Complete Workout
September, 1999--On warming up and cooling down
- It's the Economy, Stupid!
August, 1999--Using short sprints to improve technique
- Beginner's Pluck
July, 1999--How to avoid looking like a geek
- Fathers' Day
June, 1999--A tribute to my Dad
- Cinco de Mayo: 5 Training Tips from the Mexicans
- Taxing Returns
April, 1999--Overcoming the fear of returning to training after a layoff
- Scrooge's Guide to Shoe Buying
December, 1998--A cheap bum's guide to shoe buying
- News on Shoes
November, 1998--How running shoes are made
- Attack of the Killer T-Shirts
October, 1998--What to do with your 12-year-old T-shirts
- Racing Tough
September, 1998--On mental toughness
- Safety is as Safety Does
August, 1998--Being safe on the roads
- Dave's ASPCA-Approved Hot-Weather Training Tips
- Avoiding the DQ Club
April, 1998--How to avoid getting disqualified
- Southern Comforts
February, 1998--Nutritional supplements, Southern style
- Care and Feeding of Racewalking Injuries
- Heart Rate Monitors: Silver Bullets or Expensive Toys?
- Lactate and the Long Walk
July, 1997--Using distance work to improve 5 and 10K performance
- Racewalking for Runners: Cross-Training that Works